Wednesday, June 24, 2015

A Beautiful Mess.

I'm growing up.



I don't know when this started happening. Somewhere between finding out I was going to be a big sister and stumbling up the steps to retrieve my diploma, I guess.



Some of my dearest friends are on missions. Some of my other friends I may never see again. Some of my friends have gotten their mission calls. Someone I went to preschool with just got engaged. It's all just happening so fast, and it's hard for my brain to wrap my mind around...



...See? I can't even form coherent sentences anymore because I am so blown away with all of the changes and adult things that are happening! That or the Boy Meets World episode I'm watching distracted me.



That's probably it. This is why I can't be on my own.



Anyway, things are happening. Things that have never happened before, and things that I don't know how to deal with. I've been feeling things that have never felt and thinking about things that have never needed to be thought about. It has just been utterly strange. But through it all, I've had constant friends who are going through the same things by my side.



I was talking with one of them last night. He had the sacred opportunity of going through the temple last night. Our conversation went like so:



Him: "It's all really overwhelming for me. the past couple months have been absolutely wonderful, but overstimulating all at the same time. It's been marvelous, but also very stressful and draining."



I then had a thought. And I was proud of it.



Me: "Welcome to life, I guess."



Something I knew all of the sudden was made perfectly clear. Life is fast-paced and stressful. There is no getting away from it. We can find true peace and comfort in the gospel of Jesus Christ, but that doesn't change the fact that it's there. And that's okay.



Life is a marvelous chaos. Hectic bliss. A beautiful mess. And it is needed. Without the bitter, how could we taste the sweet? Without the struggle, where is the growth? Without the stress, where is the comfort?



Life doesn't slow down. Moments can pass by before you even realize they're special. But if we only stop for a moment once in a while and take a glance, we will be forever grateful we did. Especially in times of change, like these.



"This is our one and only chance at mortal life - here and now. The longer we live, the greater is our realization that it is brief. Opportunities come, and then they are gone...i plead with you not to let those important things pass you by as you plan for that illusive and nonexistent future when you will have time to do all that you want to do. Instead, find joy in the journey."  -President Thomas S. Monson



"Through timeless words and priceless pictures

We'll fly like birds, not of this earth.

And, tides they turn, and hearts disfigure

But that's no concern when we're wounded together..."



As for coping with the change and the difficult times ahead? I know that there is always one constant in my life, and that is the gospel. As long as I have a relationship with Jesus Christ and my Heavenly Father, I will have nothing to be afraid of. And, since I'm on a Boy Meets World kick right now, let's remember the wise words of dear Mr. Feeny, America's favorite teacher:



"Believe in yourselves. Dream. Try. Do good." 



No comments:

Post a Comment