Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Nomophobia.

Today, in my usual, daily web-surfing and twitter-stalking, I came across this article by Gemma Styles (Yes, kids, she's definitely One Direction's Harry Styles's older sister). From what I can see, she's a great writer, and has a lot to say about a variety of topics. But this one in particular is brilliant. And slightly unnerving.

She writes about her self-proclaimed disease called, "nomophobia." She reveals startling statistics, like how "A recent opinion poll found that 82 percent of Americans believe their mobile phones are addictive and some have even gone as far as checking into rehab to help them to deal with their crippling nomophobia... that's 'no-mobile-phone-phobia,' just fyi." When I first read this, I laughed out loud at the term and the idea. But the more I've thought about it, the more I've realized that this is a real problem for many of us--especially me.

How often do I put have to mentally beg myself to put my phone down? How often do I have to physically hand it over to my roommate to hide away so I can focus on my homework? If I were able count all of the hours I've spent total looking at that tiny little screen, what would it add up to? These are the kinds of thoughts that scare me. And the problem is that they absolutely shouldn't.

If I didn't have 'nomophobia,' none of this would bother me.

The new year is about to begin. It's going to be a year of firsts, and a year of growing and learning, as it always is. But it's going to be different because I am not going to kick the nomophobia to the curb. I can't afford to miss potentially precious moments with people that I love. Too much of that happens already.

I think it's time for a social media break.

No comments:

Post a Comment